Did you know a total of 26 million Mac and MacBook units were sold last year?
There are many reasons consumers have taken to the MacBook brand. The units are relatively lightweight, the Apply ecosystem is plentiful, and the battery life is good. But everything is fun and games until problems occur.
Do you own a MacBook and sometimes face annoying issues, or are you thinking of buying one but want to know what issues to be aware of?
Continue reading to learn about six common technology problems with the MacBook and how to resolve them so you can keep your sanity intact.
Table of Contents
1. Startup Problems
If you’re a MacBook owner, you might have already experienced situations where the screen remains blank after you turn it on. While this can be annoying and inconvenient, there is a relatively simple fix to restore order.
Complete the following steps to get your startup issues under control:
- Boot up your MacBook in Safe Mode by starting up the unit and holding down the shift button
- After the Apple logo shows up on the screen and then disappears, let go of the shift button
- Login so that MacOS conducts diagnostics on the hard drive
- You can exit Safe Mode and start your MacBook the normal way
2. Frozen App
Another of the more common MacBook issues is the frozen app problem. Unfortunately, it’s not just that the app freezes. It’s that you won’t be able to use your MacBook during one of these episodes.
The solution to one of the most irritating MacBook problems? Force Quit. You can do it by performing the following steps:
- Press Command-Option-Escape at the same time to bring up the Force Quit menu
- Highlight the app or apps that have frozen
- Click on the Force Quit button
3. Lack of Internet Connection
You might find yourself wanting to pull your hair out when your MacBook seems to be allergic to an internet connection.
While it might be a sign that you need to reboot your router due to technology issues, sometimes the issue is your MacBook. The good news is that it’s not hard to correct the situation so that you can access the internet.
Perform the following steps to fix the MacBook and get back up and running:
- Go to System Preferences and select the Network Page
- Select the Advanced button at the bottom left corner and head to Preferred Networks
- Highlight the WiFi network you typically use
- Click the “-” button and choose Remove to forget the WiFi network
- Select the WiFi icon located in the menu bar
- Reconnect to the WiFi network you had removed by keying in your credentials
4. Spinning Ball
The spinning ball on a computer screen is something that can occur when you’re using a MacBook.
It can happen on just about any computer screen, so it’s not rare. However, if it seems to be happening too often for your liking, there’s a way to address it. Just do the following to stop the spinning ball on the screen in its tracks:
Open the Activity Monitor (look for it via the Utilities folder) to see the impact the open apps are having on system resources. You might find that one or more apps seem to be hogging a lot of the capacity. If so, do the following:
- Quit any apps utilizing too much of the available system resources
- Highlight the apps in question and choose Force Quit or Quit
5. Screen Issues
Have you ever had screen issues on your MacBook? The problems could relate to having no display backlight or experiencing a flickering screen.
The first thing you should do is check the screen brightness function to ensure it wasn’t inadvertently lessened. If that doesn’t do the trick, here are some steps you should try to resolve any screen issues you might be having:
- Boot your MacBook into Safe Mode
- Go to Systems Preferences, select Display, and press on Default for Display
6. Physical Damage
One problem you’ll want to avoid at all costs is a broken MacBook. They already cost a premium to begin with, so you’ll want to be mindful of things that could jeopardize the functionality of your technology.
If despite your best efforts, you damage your MacBook, you need laptop repair. It’s essential to find a reputable service provider that specializes in working on MacBooks. They’ll get your machine up and running in no time.
Common causes of damage to MacBooks include physical and liquid damage. Do your best to avoid dropping it. That might seem obvious, but it’s all that uncommon for people to drop their laptops accidentally.
And ensure you know what to do if, for instance, you spill coffee or soda on it. Doing nothing is the wrong thing to do.
For liquid damage, you should turn off the MacBook right away, disconnect the power cord from the wall, and disconnect any accessories. You should also disconnect the battery. Call a laptop servicing company for more help.
Use These Tips to Resolve Technology Problems
There’s a reason MacBooks are so popular. And most of the common problems that can afflict them are relatively easy to fix if you know what to do.
Keep these tips handy to help solve any technology problems you have with your MacBook.
Are you eager to read more articles focusing on technology, gaming, software, home improvement, and more? If so, check out our website for more content. And subscribe so you can always stay updated.